Follow along as ‘Blue is slowly upgraded, getting ready to voyage further afield in the South Atlantic….
- [x] AIS
- [ ] Solent stay
- [ ] Self-steering
- [x] A sea-water tap for the galley
- Docking for the single-hander
The following copy from NWM. Still to be sorted.
- Fore-deck Hatch: Reverse opening direction, maybe replace with something sturdier?
- Aft-deck Hatch: Can be lost at sea when opening. Secure to ship!
- Companionway washboards: Lock in place when in position, permanently attached to boat, cockpit storage.
- Bunk Covers: Secure in position.
- Bilge Floors: Secure in position.
- Emergency tiller & rudder plan
- Check and service rudder, pintles etc
- Through Hulls: Wooden bungs for all.
- Cockpit drains: Enough? Fast enough drainage?
- Stern Gland: Plan if leak develops?
- Bilge Pumps: Secure handles, gasket material.
- Electrics & Communications:
- Hand-held VHF to complement ships VHF [or SSB with remote mic?]
- Satellite phone backup?
- eMail solution. -> PredictWind.com & IridiumGo !?
- Solar Panels: Remount on more substantial frame.
- Batteries: Gel? Mount and secure against capsize.
- Spray shields for port quarter berth & electrics
- Rigging and sails:
- Rigging cutter
- Replace all standing and running rigging.
- Inspect chainplates.
- Spare mains’l?
- Rig second fore-stay for hank-on sails [Solent stay].
- Mast steps.
- Check boom and gooseneck.
- Liferaft or suped-up sailing tender?
- Flares etc
- Preventer [see GOB double vang preventer Issue3 1998]
- Accommodation & Comfort:
- Spray Dodger
- Cockpit Shade: Beef up current arrangement
- Cockpit splash covers
[x]Handheld GPS [Phone + App]
[ ]Asymmetric spinnaker or cruising chute
[ ]SSB radio and eMail solution -> Check out IridiumGo on PredictWind.com
[x] Splash cover/Water shield for inverter and solar regulators. Relocated.
[ ]SS backing pads for main winches
[x] Ship’s radio license
[ ]Remote VHF at helm or portable
[x] Skipper’s “Coastal” license
[x] Chart plotter [I don’t have an iPad and don’t feel right springing R8k for a 10″ android -> R8k for a charplotter seems a reasonable compromise]
[ ] Cutter/Solent rig?
[x] Mast steps
[x] Redo all halyards and running rigging
[x] Anti-Osmosis treatment
[x] Galley sea water tap
[ ] Recut the genoa
[ ] Spare hank on sails
[ ] Wind vane (navik?)
[ ] Additional water tankage More plumbed in tanks or containers?
[ ] Batten down the floorboards and the bunk tops
[ ] Foredeck hatch improvements
[ ] Beef up / Replace the coach roof wooden hand rails
[x] Harnesses and jack lines
[ ] Anchor Windlass – MANUAL Pardey uses a Plath 7B Ch 18 of the self sufficient cruiser has a list of suppliers of manual winches.
[ ] At sea communications. Iridium Go, Spot, etc
[ ] Life raft?
[ ] Lee boards/cloths
[x] Non-slip floors at 1/4 berths
[ ] Remove and plug the ‘gas drain’
[x] Bungs/ plugs for all through hulls
[ ] Veggie hammocks
[ ] Cockpit spray dodger [hard dodger] & leecloths
[ ] Tie the washboards to the boat
[x] Radar reflector
[ ] EPIRB
[ ] Replace standing rigging ?? Forestay done June 2016.
[ ] Underwater epoxy putty
[ ] misc board & hware to plug holes
[ ] A good selection of blocks, shackles, line and hardware to repair and jury rig anything.
[ ] spare/stronger tiller?